Learn. Grow. Succeed.
With camp opportunities and $1000 awards
Supporting Students and Young Leaders
Heading to college or university? Looking for leadership opportunities and a little support?
FirstOntario is happy to offer education awards and leadership camp opportunities, created with students in mind. Don't miss your chance to apply!
We want you to succeed
FirstOntario is committed to helping our young Members achieve more than just financial success.
When you make the important decision to go to college or university, your studies, not your bank account, should be your first priority.
Here's how we can help
FirstOntario offers six education awards valued at $1,000 each to those who exemplify leadership qualities, community engagement and the drive to make our communities better.
Not a Member yet? That’s ok (but you’re missing out!). We want to help you too.
Here's what you need to know
- Open to first or second year post-secondary students aged 25 or younger
- You need a 70% average or higher (we’ll need your Grade 12 transcript)
- Tell us about your community volunteerism and experience that highlights co-operative philosophies of caring, co-operation and community
- Show us your leadership qualities that contribute to your community today and how you will use your education to make a difference tomorrow
Applications for the 2020 Education Awards are now being accepted until Friday, May 1, 2020. You do not have to be a Member of FirstOntario Credit Union to apply. The convenient online application, including the opportunity to download supporting documentation, can be accessed here.
If you are a successful recipient, you agree to visit a FirstOntario branch in person to become a Member in order to receive your award.
Questions? Please contact CommunityImpact@FirstOntario.com.
Being a Member has its benefits. The Education Award application also provides a listing of any additional credit union awards you may be eligible for. Young Members are also invited to apply for the following awards:
- CU Succeed Youth Bursary offered through the Ontario Credit Union Foundation (OCUF). In 2019, seventeen FirstOntario Members were awarded $24,500 in bursaries. Applications open April 30, 2020 and close June 20, 2020, Visit OCUF to learn more.
- Valeyo Learning Grant is offered to student Members of participating credit unions. Two grants in teh amount of $1,000 are available to be won in Ontario. Applications open February 17, 2020 and close april 17, 2020. Visit Valeyo to learn more.
Get in touch
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.
Co-operative Young Leaders Camp
Fostering your opportunity to learn and grow
Co-operative Young Leaders (CYL) camp is a fun and interactive program that brings teenagers together from across Ontario. As part of FirstOntario’s goal to encourage community growth and leadership with our young Members, we sponsor CYL camp opportunities every summer.
CYL camp has all the fun things you would expect like hiking, campfires, swimming, volleyball and just hanging out.
But there's more! You'll have the opportunity to:
“I learned important leadership skills which helped me become a responsible student at school, a great communicator among my friends, a positive contributor at home and a responsible young person at the place I work as a part-timer.”Sobia Nadeem, CYL camper
- Campers are between the ages of 14 and 18
- There are three levels- Junior, Intermediate and Senior
- Campers work on a special project that incorporates their strengths while working as part of a team
- Base Camp- another option for 12 to 13 year-olds, is a weekend adventure that teaches co-operative principles in a creative way
Applications for the 2020 CYL summer camp are now being accepted until Friday, April 17, 2020. You do not have to be a Member of FirstOntario Credit Union to apply.
All selected applicants will be notified by FirstOntario and will be required to go online and register directly with CYL once selected.
Please submit your completed application and essay to:
FirstOntario Credit Union
Attention: Community Impact – CYL Application
970 South Service Road, Suite 301
Stoney Creek, ON L8E 6A2